(Pocket-lint) – Apple is rolling out the first public beta of watchOS 9. This means that public beta testers, or anyone who isn’t a developer, can download and try the new update on your Apple Watch.
To get Apple’s next operating system update beta running on your watch, you need to sign up for Apple’s beta testing program. Joining is free. Next, you need to install the appropriate certificate from Apple’s public beta website, and then you can get the updates over the air. If you previously joined the Apple beta program, you will need to register again. Here’s what you need to know.
How to download and install watchOS 9 public beta on Apple Watch
With the Apple public beta, you can download and install watchOS 9 on your device Apple Watch. To make things easier, we have detailed the steps below. But, remember, if you want watchOS 9, you will also need the iOS 16 public beta on your iPhone. Check out our guide here for details on how to get the iOS 16 public beta – it’s also easy and free.
Sign up and sign up for the Apple public beta program
Before you can download the watchOS 9 public beta to install on your Apple device, you need to sign up and sign up for the Apple public beta program.
- Visit the Apple Beta Program website on the iPhone paired with your Apple Watch.
- Click the Register button.
- Sign in with your Apple ID
- From there, read and accept the Apple Agreement.
- From your iPhone, visit beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/guide.
- You may need to sign in with your Apple ID.
- Download a beta configuration profile. (Follow the on-screen steps.)
- You will need to click on the watchOS tab.
- Scroll down and select “You can register your Apple Watch.”
- On the next page, select Download Profile > Install.
- You may need to enter your passcode and tap Restart to restart your device.
At this point, you are ready to install the public beta on your Apple Watch.
Install the public beta version of watchOS 9 on your Apple Watch
You can install watchOS 9 public beta from your Apple Watch itself in a few easy steps:
- Go to General > Software Update in the Apple Watch Settings app.
- Wait for the watchOS 9 public beta prompt to appear.
- Click the prompt to download and install the trial version on your device.
Install watchOS 9 public beta on iPhone
Alternatively, you can install the watchOS 9 public beta using your iPhone:
- Connect your iPhone to Wi-Fi and launch the Apple Watch app.
- Tap on the My Watch tab > General > Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install and enter your iPhone passcode.
- Click I agree to the terms and conditions.
- Make sure your Apple Watch is at least 50% charged and connect it to the charger.
- Tap Install on your iPhone and/or Apple Watch.
Can Apple Watch run watchOS 9 public beta?
Apple said that watchOS 9 requires an iPhone 6s or later with iOS 15 or later and one of the following Apple Watch models:
- Apple Watch Series 3
- Apple Watch Series 4
- Apple Watch Series 5
- Apple Watch SE
- Apple Watch Series 6
- Apple Watch Series 7
When will the final version of watchOS 9 be released?
Apple will be planting several developers and public betas for watchOS 9 throughout the summer — which you’ll be able to download over the air. Expect the final version of the software update to be officially released for all supported Apple Watch models sometime this fall, likely after the debut of the next iPhone series.
Final versions will also be free and downloadable over the air – no Apple beta program required.
Want to learn more about watchOS 9?
Check out our comprehensive playback feature:
Written by Maggie Tillman. Editing by Britta Opwell.