Google released the May 2022 Google Play System Update earlier this month. Google’s initial changelog mentioned that the new update brings features like self-sharing to near sharing and improvements to the Play Store. But there seems to be a lot more exciting things in the latest update than Google originally revealed.
Google has updated the OS patch notes to highlight some of the new features and improvements coming with the May 2022 OS update. Most notably the Photo Picker feature. This feature was first introduced in Android 13, and is meant to restrict how apps access media files on your device. Instead of giving full permission to all media files, Photo Picker will only allow apps to access specific media files.
The official Google documentation for Photo Picker states that the feature will be rolling out to devices running Andriod 12 and Android 11 via a Google Play system update.
Upcoming Google Play system updates are expected to include new features related to the image picker. In one of these updates, the library will add support for apps targeting Android 11 (API level 30) or higher
Another new feature that comes with the Google Play system update is support for installing and using streaming apps on devices running Android Automative. Additionally, the update also adds the ability for parents to set a permanent trigger on devices registered with Family Link.
Photo Picker, improvements to Android Automative, and Family Link changes are rolling out with the latest Google Play Store and Play Services updates.
Here are all the changes in the May 2022 Google Play System Update:
- critical fixes
- [Auto, Phone, Tablet, TV, Wear OS] Bug fixes for account management, utilities, system management and diagnostic related services.
- Account management
- [Phone, Tablet] Migrate the current device setup flow of supervised work accounts to a web-based experience.
- [Phone, Tablet] Parents’ ability to set a permanent launcher on supervised devices through Family Link using local parental controls.
- device connections
- [Auto, Phone, TV] Nearby sharing now allows users to share content more seamlessly between their devices that are signed in to the same account.
- [Auto] Support for the installation and use of video streaming applications in in-vehicle infotainment systems through Android Automotive
- Google Play Store
- Improvements have been made to the Play-as-you-download feature to allow players to start playing mobile games while downloading the app continues to reduce wait times.
- New features to help you discover the apps and games you love.
- Improvements that allow for faster and more reliable downloads and installations.
- New features for Play Pass and Play Points.
- Improvements to Google Play Billing.
- Continuous improvements to Play Protect to keep your device secure.
- Various performance improvements, bug fixes, security, stability, and accessibility improvements.
- [Auto, Phone, Tablet, TV, Wear OS] Google Help app design improvements.
- system administration
- System management services updates that improve device connectivity, stability, and performance.
- Developer Services
- New developer features for Google and third-party app developers to support ads, location services, media, security, privacy, and related developer services in their apps.
- New developer service and user experience to allow users to select specific photos or videos to share with an app instead of giving permission to all media files on the device.
source: Google system updates support page, Android developers