One problem with Netflix constantly raising their subscription prices? We have now come to a point where you can subscribe to many competitors at the same prices as a single Netflix subscription.
Obviously this depends on level and services, but if you’re looking for a change from the Netflix content surroundings and want something more focused, my advice would be (at least temporarily) to cancel Netflix and subscribe to HBO Max and Apple TV Plus for the same total price.
This can be done in two ways:
- If you have 4K multiscreen Netflix for $20 a month, you can subscribe to Apple TV Plus for $5 and HBO Max without ads for $15.
- If you have $15 a month in HD, and less screen on Netflix, you can subscribe to Apple TV Plus for $5 and HBO Max for $10.
Why these two? Because in my opinion, you won’t find a better selection of shows overall, I’d argue more than if you swapped Hulu, Paramount Plus, Amazon Prime Video, or Disney Plus in one of those slots as well (and you can, since nothing is quite as pricey as Netflix).
If you take my advice, here are the offers I will be seeking for each service. Once you clear it up, you can probably cancel and go ahead for now if you want (although HBO in particular has particle Content library for songs of the past, of course).
Best Apple TV Plus Deals:
- Ted Lasso (a touching comedy about an American football coach who runs a UK football team)
- Inception (a great science fiction adaptation of famous books)
- Slow Horses (British spy movie with comedic elements and Gary Oldman being awesome)
- The After Party (a high-concept comedy about a murder)
- For All Mankind (an alternate history series theorizing what would have happened if the Soviet Union had reached the moon first)
- Severance (a science fiction meta-commentary on company life, fantastic series)
- Pachinko (Korean drama fictionalized based on a bestselling book)
- Servant (a very disturbing horror series by M. Night Shyamalan)
- Mythic Quest (comedy about a video game developer)
- Dickinson (Hailee Steinfeld in a recent film about the life of Emily Dickinson)
Best HBO Max Shows
- Barry (a black comedy about a hitman)
- Flight Attendant (comedy about a flight attendant trapped in international spy games)
- We Own This City (continued series on police corruption in Baltimore from The Wire)
- Minx (a comedy about a female-run porn mag in the 70s)
- Tokyo Vice (Book adapted from an American report on the Yakuza in Tokyo)
- Ecstasy (explosive popular drama about an unbelievable catastrophe for high school teens)
- Our Flag Means Death (Gay Pirate Comedy, Really Excellent)
- Eleventh Station (and we hope, oddly enough, to take the end of the world)
- Born by Wolves (Excellent, Weird Science Fiction Series with Echoes of Dunes and Prometheus)
- The Gilded Age (the American version of Downton Abby made by the same show)
- The White Lotus (a comedy about discerning vacationers)
- Peacemaker (DCEU expands to TV with John Cena starring in Suicide Squad Suicide Squad)
- The Sex Lives of College Girls (a funny comedy somewhat less scandalous than the title might suggest)
- Mary of Easttown (crime drama Kate Winslet)
- Julia (A wonderful depiction of the life of Julia Child)
Again, I can turn to the HBO back catalog which you also get with HBO Max but you get the idea.
all of these, all of these, I recommend. So if you’re on a budget, take a month or two off Netlfix, and sign up for those two accounts instead. Check out these shows and come back to Netflix if you really want to. I don’t think you will regret the change of pace.
Follow me on TwitterAnd YoutubeAnd Facebook And Instagram. Subscribe to our free weekly content newsletter, rolls of God.
Pick up my science fiction novels Herokiller series And Earthborn trilogy.