This tutorial is about how to recover hard drive space after upgrading to Windows 11. We will do our best to make you understand this guide. I hope you like this blog How to recover hard drive space after upgrading to Windows 11. If your answer is yes, please share after reading this.
table of contents
Check How to Reclaim Hard Disk Space After Upgrading to Windows 11
You always want as much storage space as possible on your computer. It will slow down if the hard drive is nearly full. This is a problem whether you are working, watching movies, or playing video games on your computer. Even if you have a lot of storage space, there will come a time when you need to delete items to free up space on your hard drive. Fortunately, Windows 11 offers a handy option that deletes files automatically. Storage is the job involved. Storage Sense is a feature of Windows 10 that is also included in Windows 11. This tutorial will show you how to quickly set up Storage Sense so you never have to worry about running out of disk space. This feature automatically removes temporary files, old downloads, and system files. You can also set it to delete certain files so nothing critical is lost in the process.
How to recover hard drive space after upgrading Windows 11 via Settings
As a recovery solution, the Windows operating system, during the update, creates a backup copy of the current version. This is a protection feature, in case you choose to go back to the previous version or if the update is unsuccessful. These files are stored in Windows. The folder is old and is automatically deleted ten days after the upgrade. However, other Windows update files continue to run while new updates are installed. If you are satisfied with your Windows 11 upgrade, you can safely delete these files to regain valuable storage space. Heres how to do it.
- Press Win + I to open Settings.
- On the System tab, scroll down and tap Storage. The system will perform a quick scan and display the categories of files that are taking up the most space on your drive.
- Next, click on Temporary files. It consists of downloads, cleaning of Windows updates, temporary installation, and other unwanted files.
- Select the Previous Windows installations and Clean Windows Update option.
- Then deselect Downloads and Other Files. Some applications may require some files, so leave everything else unchecked.
- Check your selection and click the Delete Files button. Windows will immediately erase all of your Windows backup files, freeing up a few gigabytes of storage space. If you don’t see free space right away, restart and check again.
Next, go to the C:UsersUsernameDownloads folder and find the large and duplicate files that you may have forgotten to delete. Instead, move your important files to another drive or partition to help optimize your primary drive.
How to free up disk space after upgrading Windows 11 via Disk Cleanup
You can use the classic Disk Cleanup utility to free up space for Windows Backup and other temporary files. It is a useful tool to quickly check and remove unnecessary system files.
- Press Win + S to open Windows Search.
- Type disk cleanup and open the application from the search result.
- Select the drive you want to scan, usually your boot drive, and click OK.
- Click the “Clean up system files” button.
- Again, select the drive to scan and click OK.
- Under Files to delete, select Previous Windows Update and Windows cleanup options, if available.
- Uncheck the Downloads option if available.
- Click OK and then delete files to confirm action. This is a permanent procedure and will permanently delete all files.
Final Words: How to Reclaim Hard Disk Space After Upgrading to Windows 11
Hope you understand this article How to recover hard drive space after upgrading to Windows 11If your answer is no, you can ask anything via the communication forum section related to this article. And if your answer is yes, please share this article with your family and friends.