This tutorial is about how to delete Windows.old folder in Windows 11 PC. We will do our best for you to understand this guide. I hope you like this blog How to delete Windows.old folder in Windows 11 PC. If your answer is yes, please share after reading this.
table of contents
Check how to delete Windows.old folder in Windows 11 PC
Every time you switch to a new version of Windows, whether it’s a Windows 10 feature update or a new operating system, Microsoft keeps a history of the previous version. This includes data about all installed programs and settings, which are stored in a folder called “Windows.old”. You can find this folder in File Explorer, but you cannot delete it like a regular folder. Microsoft blocks the usual methods, such as right-clicking or drag-and-drop, to likely prevent accidental removal.
Windows.old can take up many gigabytes of system space, especially if you’ve upgraded to a newer version of Windows. If you do not intend to go back to the previous version, you can delete the Windows.old folder without hesitation. This will not affect current Windows 11 or future updates. This is part of the backup mechanism in case the update process fails.
If for some reason the installation fails, the system can use the “Windows.old” folder to undo the changes. Even if the upgrade is completed successfully, the previous version is backed up with the undo option in case the new installation causes problems.
How to delete Windows.old folder on Windows 11 PC
Find and delete Windows.old folder on Windows 11 PC
To find the Windows.old folder, start File Explorer from the taskbar or Start menu.
- Most users should find the Windows.old folder on the standard C drive (such as C: Windows.old). If your Windows installation uses a different drive letter, be sure to check it.
- If you want to see how much space the folder is currently using, right-click on the folder and select Properties from the context menu.
- The Windows.old properties window will give you an indication of the current size of the folder. This will vary depending on the size of your previous installation, but expect this folder to use 15GB or more of storage space.
Manual removal of Windows.old folder
- Assuming you want to delete the Windows.old folder, click OK to close the properties window. Right-click on the folder in File Explorer and hit Delete to continue.
- Windows protects the Windows.old folder, so you may be asked for permission to delete the folder. Tap Continue, then follow any additional on-screen instructions to do so.
- If your user account does not have administrator privileges, you will need to sign in (when prompted) to allow deletion.
Using Disk Cleanup
- You can also use the Disk Cleanup tool to remove the Windows.old folder. To use this, open the Start menu and type Disk Cleanup. Select the best score (best match) at the top.
- When the Disk Cleanup window opens, press the Clean up system files button at the bottom
- The tool may take a few minutes to scan your computer.
- When you’re done, find your previous Windows installations and select them in the Files to remove section. Disk Cleanup will display the total space you will gain by deleting it.
- You can select other unnecessary files that Disk Cleanup has found at this point to delete as well.
- When you’re ready, tap OK, then tap Delete Files when the verification message appears.
- If this is the first time you’ve removed Windows.old, you’ll get a second notification asking if you’re sure. Click Yes to verify that you want to remove it.
- Wait for Windows to delete the Windows.old folder and any other items you select. The amount of time it takes will vary depending on the size of the folder.
Final Words: How to delete Windows.old folder in Windows 11 PC
I hope you understand this article How to delete Windows.old folder in Windows 11 PCIf your answer is no, you can ask anything via the communication forum section related to this article. And if your answer is yes, please share this article with your family and friends.