Windows Defender Antivirus, also known as Windows Security, comes installed with Windows 11/10. It is an anti-malware scanning tool that allows you to boot and scan from a trusted environment. With it, you can protect your computer from viruses and malware and protect it in real time. When a threat is detected, Windows Defender blocks and deletes it. However, some users have reported it Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Working. If you are facing this issue, continue reading.
What is an offline scan in Windows Defender?
Deep Offline Scan allows users to detect any threats like Trojans, ransomware, and other malware that other antivirus programs might not see when they are running Windows.
Search works offline in the recovery environment. So when you choose to run an offline scan, your computer will be restarted to Advanced Recovery. Once there, Defender will check all files for malware, viruses, or anything suspicious.
No blush software will hinder the scan since nothing else is running except the core Windows services. It usually takes 15 minutes, after which the computer will start.
Possible Problems Why Offline Search Doesn’t Work
- Interfering with Third Party Security Software: Suppose you are already using any third party security software. Defender offline scan will not work during a software conflict, and only one can work.
- Corrupted Windows Defender System Files: The system files or Windows security core files may be corrupt, thus the offline scan cannot be started.
- User account permission problem: If you receive an error –You need permission to do this action– You do not have permission to run the scan offline. You will need an administrator account to perform an offline scan.
Windows Defender Offline Scan does not work on Windows 11/10
Now that we know the reasons why offline scanning is restricted, let’s figure out how to fix the problem.
- Uninstall third-party security software
- Get started with admin permission
- Run DISM and SFC command to repair corrupt system file
- Operating System Restore
- Use Reset this PC
- Restore from backup
Some of these methods are troubleshooting methods, while the latter methods allow you to restore your PC to a previous state where everything was working fine.
1]Uninstall the third-party security software
Any operating system can have several antivirus programs, but only one should be running. If you install two security software, it will cause a conflict. If you are already using third-party software, offline scanning may not work. It is best that you uninstall or disable this security software and then use Windows Defender offline scanning.
2]Launch with administrator permission
You will need an administrator account to run this solution, it will not work with a standard account. If you are using a standard account, a UAC (User Account Control) prompt will appear, asking you for admin permission, and standard users will need to enter admin credentials.
ReadWhere are Windows Defender Offline scan logs stored?
3]Run DISM and SFC commands to repair corrupt system file
When a system file is damaged or not working properly, no software that depends on it will work. If Windows Defender or any of its associated files are corrupt, you need to repair it. It can be donated using DISM commands and SFC utilities. Follow these steps
- Right-click on the Start Menu and select Windows Terminal (Admin) or Command Prompt (Admin)
- He writes
sfc /scannowand press Enter.
- System File Checker will start scanning and scanning the entire system to check for corrupt or missing files. Once the files are detected, Windows will attempt to repair the corrupted files.
- If Windows Defender still fails to run, try running a DISM scan and type it
DISM/Online /Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealthat the command prompt and press the Enter key.
- Once it is complete, launch the Windows Security app and try to run an offline band.
ReadHow is a Windows Defender Offline scan performed at boot time?
5]Run System Restore
System Restore takes a snapshot of some system files and the Windows registry and stores them as a restore point. In the event of an installation failure and data corruption, System Restore can return the files to working condition without reinstalling Windows.
- Click on the start menu and type in restore point
- Click on the option to recover from search result
- Click Open System Restore and then click Next on System Restore button
- The next screen will reveal the available restore points for your computer.
- Select one and then click the Next button
- Click the Finish button on the confirmation screen, and let the process complete.
You can also view the list of affected programs when you select a restore point. Make sure to check it out so you clearly understand what you might have to return once the process is complete.
4]Use Reset this PC
If the SFC and DISM tools do not help you, you are in a situation where you need to install the latest version of the operating system while keeping your applications and files. Also called repair upgrade. If you find this new, the option will also appear when you use Reset this PC.
- Open Settings with Win + I.
- Go to System > Recovery
- Click the Reset Computer button
- Select Keep my files and then follow the rest of the instructions.
6]Restore Windows image from backup
System image backups help you create the current Windows image. Pictures contain all the information about your computer in a particular case. So if you are already running a backup that can restore, you can try that as well. While the process is similar to System Restore, each user has a different backup method. So if you’re running Windows Backup or a third-party tool, use it to restore your computer to the state in which things are working fine.
I hope the post was easy to follow, and you were able to fix Windows Defender offline scan not working on Windows 11/10.
Is Windows Defender Enough to Protect My Computer?
You can always improve your security by installing a third-party antivirus. We suggest that you primarily use Windows Defender as it ranks highly in the performance tests. However, if you are looking for more, be sure to browse through the features and get feedback.
Why is Windows Defender Antivirus turned off?
It may happen that Windows Defender is turned off or not working. This can happen because you have another antivirus application installed on your system. You have to turn it off and uninstall this software/application before running Windows Defender, which leads to clashes.
Read: Windows Defender cannot or cannot be turned on
Why won’t Windows Defender open in Windows?
If Windows Defender does not open in Windows, it has opened Discover another anti-malware program. Make sure to uninstall it and restart your computer. Even after removing the third-party software from your computer, things still don’t work, you have to reset the security app. go to Started And type Windows security, Right-click on it and select Application Settings. Scroll down, and you will find an option for Reset. Click to reset.
How do I turn on Windows Security in Windows?
To turn on/off Window Security, go to Started; searching for Windows Security And click on it, after that you will see multiple options like virus and threat protection, account protection, etc. Click Protection from viruses and threats. distance This, check out Managed setting under Virus and threat protection settings part and click it. Now you will see Real-time protection which contains a toggle switch. Now you have to turn on Windows Security in Windows.
Read then: Windows Security in Windows 11 does not open or does not work.