If you’ve just bought a new laptop, one of the first things you’ll probably want to do is customize its look. Windows has plenty of options to customize what you see when you unlock your device. Not only can you select a color, image or slideshow for your wallpaper, but you can choose a lock screen and choose a theme.
It’s pretty straightforward to do once you get to your personalization settings. To do that:
- Click on Started button
- Click Settings
- Choose Personalization In the right menu
From here, you can make a variety of design changes to your computer’s interface.
Change your wallpaper
- Click on background ribbon
- at the top of the background The page is an image that will show you a preview of what your choices will look like.
- Use the dropdown menu on the right Personalize your background section Choose whether to use a photo, slideshow, or solid color as background
- Below that are several recent photos I used in case you want to quickly go back to one of those photos
- If you prefer to use one of your own photos, go for it Choose a picture and click on Browse photos button to the right of it. Select an image and click Choose the picture.
- To change how your image will fill the space — for example, center it on the screen or create a tile effect — click the dropdown menu next to Choose what works for your desktop image
- Once you select the fit, you will see your new wallpaper behind the settings window; Feel free to experiment to see what works best for you (and your image)
- If the image does not fill the entire screen, you can also choose a background color. Scroll down to “Choose a background color” and select a color. (If the image fills the entire screen, you won’t see this option.)
- If you decide to choose only a colorful background, select solid color from Personalize your background drop down menu, then choose a color from the boxes below it Choose your background color. You can also create a custom color.
- Your third choice in PPersonalize your background the list is slideshow. To choose which photos will appear in the slide show, tap browse button on the right Choose a photo album for the slideshowselect a folder, then tap Choose this folder.
- You’ll then find additional settings to choose from, such as how often the slideshow changes images, toggles shuffle, whether you want the slideshow to run on battery power, and how the image should fit the screen.
Set lock screen
- go to Personalization> Lock screen
- Open the dropdown menu next to Personalize your lock screen. You will get three options: Windows Spotlight, PictureAnd slideshow.
- To use a still image as your lock screen, choose picture. Then select an image using File Browse photos button for Choose a picture
- To set up a slideshow to play when your device is locked, tap slideshow. You will see a section called Add an album to your slideshow, which displays the folders from which images will be displayed in the slide show. To add a folder, tap browse go to the folder you want to select, then tap Choose this folder. To remove a folder, tap Removal.
- Below, you will see Advanced Slide Show Settings. Click that to adjust settings such as whether the screen will lock or turn off when the device is idle and whether to run a slide show when your Windows system is on battery power.
- The third lock screen option is Spotlight for Windows. This feature will give you a variety of images that Microsoft provides for your lock screen. You can decide if you like the photo, and your feedback will be used to personalize the photos that follow.
- No matter which screen lock option you choose, you can set which apps will appear on that screen. Search lock screen status bar and click on the dropdown menu to the right of it. You can now choose from a variety of first-party apps that will display their status on the lock screen.
Choose accent color
- Click Personalization > Colors
- Click the dropdown menu next to Choose your mode. Here, you can choose between light and dark modes. if you choose customyou can choose different default color modes for Windows and for your applications.
- Whatever you choose, you can then turn on transparency effects (so that windows and surfaces appear transparent) and scroll down to highlight color To select a color from one of the boxes there or choose a custom color. You can either apply the accent color automatically, or if you select it booklet From the dropdown menu next to highlight coloryou can specify the other place where you want to apply it (for example, the taskbar or the border).
How to use themes
Themes is a pack of wallpapers, sounds and colors that you can use to personalize your device. You can choose a theme that comes with your system or get more from the Microsoft Store.
- go to Personalization > Themesand you will see the current appearance in a window above.
- If you want, you can click backgroundAnd the colorAnd soundsAnd mouse pointer To adjust each of these features separately.